I made a bunch of progress on the entity editor. Making a lot of progress on the entity editor really made me feel even more like the past few weeks of minimal progress on non-essential aspects of the entity editor were a complete waste of the valuable hours of my life, but, you know, I guess it’s all part of the process. Hopefully, as I get more practice with this sort of thing, I’ll stop getting distracted down side roads that sap all of my time and morale and offer nothing in return. Maybe. We’ll see.
Anyway. Disregarding my irritation with the ongoing low-scale clusterfuck of the last few weeks, where are we now?
The bar at the top works, but I don’t like it. I’ll probably redesign it, but I’ve got a pretty good idea of what I want it to end up like now, and I think it’s mostly going to be a matter of rearranging the work I did before more than it will be creating new components. Either way, it’s going on the back burner for a while because I’m tired of working on this part of the project.
I’ve added the ability to clone entities on the field by shift-dragging, and will probably do the same for the list on the left shortly. The red list on the bottom right shows behaviors that can be added to the entity, but they’re not yet functional. I’ll be making it so clicking on a behavior will highlight it in the bar at the top if it’s present, and dragging and dropping will add it to the bar. The yellow list will contain a list of prototypes, basic entities that will get re-used frequently that can be loaded and saved from the editor. This part is about half-done: It’s possible to load prototypes in now, but they won’t show up on the list or be able to be placed. However, once I get them appearing, the placement code should be extremely similar to the clone and place code that will be used by the entity list on the left, so pretty easy.
In short: The end of this damn entity editor is in sight! There’s just a few things left to do and it will be 90% functional. The last 10% will probably happen when I’m actually using it every day to create content for the game and can pinpoint in great detail any flaws and spots that I missed.
Once the entity editor is finished, it’s time to revisit the detail editor and add the ability to create particle effect details. This is where the work I’ve put in here has a chance to really pay off, since the creation of control panels and other components should be much easier with the general use components I’ve made here. Hopefully, hopefully, it will take less long than this shit.
It will, at very least, be a lot prettier.