Well, the port to Haxe is pretty much done. All of the major bugs are fixed, everything seems to be up and running. There were a few sneaky issues in the map editor that took me a while to address, but now that those are fixed the engine is, for the most part, as good as it ever was.
Of course, now that I’m looking at it more closely with an eye towards adding features and using these tools to develop a finished project, I see problems. There are some bugs turning up: Some of them may be left over from the port, others may be bugs I introduced in old sections of code by breaking compatibility while writing new sections, whereas others still may have always existed and I just didn’t notice them.
Well, I’ll fix those as I come to them. It’s not a disaster.
In the meanwhile, I’ve decided to finish up the map editor, since I had to look over its code anyway to debug it and since it’s actually quite close to being feature complete. In fact, the only remaining component to finishing the map editor up is adding a couple of options to its menu and then labeling all of the buttons in that menu. It’s not a lot of programming work at all, but it’s taking me a while, partially due to having not been feeling too great the last week and partially because I’m just having a hard time deciding how I want that menu to function.
Anyway, I should be able to get that mostly finished up today. However, I’m going to be taking the weekend off from working on Everending to participate in Ludum Dare, a 48-hour game making competition. Frankly, though this will take a couple of days of potential work away and likely leave me pretty exhausted for a day or two afterwards, I think this is a wise long-term investment in my overall creative health, as well as being really good practice in the general art of game creation.
Well, that’s it for now. If you’re interested, I will probably be making many and frequent Ludum Dare updates over the weekend, with probably the first going up tonight after the theme is announced. Thanks!